Stress plays a big part in inadequate sleep and poor health for people of all ages. Common practices such as taking work home at night, taking stress home from work and letting tensions and worry take over at the end of the day can wreak havoc on home life, enjoyment of evening meals and general well-being.
Create a way to enjoy peace of mind and time to unwind in the evenings before bed. This will do wonders to ensure good health and well-being for your body and mind. Left to our own devices, many of us will work late, eat in a rush, and stay glued to our smart phones trying to play catch-up responding to messages into the wee hours. What these practices ultimately do is over stimulate ourselves until we fall into bed without any real peace of mind or unwind from the hectic day.
Incorporate some nurturing, some quiet, some joy and comfort into your evening routines every night. Include the people you love. You’ll benefit enormously and so will your relationships.
Here are some after work practices you might adopt at home to reduce overall stress, recover from work stresses and end your day on a high note with peace of mind:
- Go for an evening walk in the neighborhood and get your blood pumping.
- Drink lots of water in the evenings to help your brain and body recuperate. Water with fresh thyme, cucumber or cut fruit is refreshing and a great soda substitute.
- Turn off the smart phone and computer at a predetermined cut-off time and fully disengage.
- Make a to-do list for the following day/week. Get all the unfinished items in your head down on paper and put that list away and out of sight for the night!
- Soak your feet in epsom salts or bubbles for 10-15 minutes.
- Plan a do-over or redo for anything that did not go at all how you hoped during the day. Tell somebody. Get it off your mind. Then stop thinking about it.
- Drink herbal tea to calm your mind and your belly.
- Eat dinner in a lovely spot in the house or a quiet spot outside.
- Exchange TV time for some reading time.
- Play and have fun with the kids, dogs or by yourself. Fun is really important!
- Stretch out on the floor and listen to some beautiful music.
- Stretch out all of your muscles. Do stretches that feel good to your body.
- Call people on the phone and tell them you love them. (Perhaps people that know you…)
- Call a friend.
- Do a craft or something creative with your hands.
- Be kind to yourself in some way (small or large) at the end of the day, every day.
- Celebrate another’s success at the end of each day in some way.
- Soak in the tub and throw in some dead sea salt, herbs or aromatherapy.
- Sing your heart out. Play an instrument.
- Tidy up your living space so it feels fresh and welcoming.
- Burn aromatherapy candles.
- Trade massage with your mate.
- Breathe long, slow, deep breathes for 5-10 minutes.
- Make your bedroom look, feel and smell peaceful and lovely.